Activities in the sector are not lacking !!
Many sports and leisure activities are available locally, including the Leisure Base of Saillet and the surrounding area.
Sports and leisure activities nearby :
- Hiking : on foot, on snowshoe, on ski, by bike or by horse (in Montaut).
- Whitewater sports : canoeing, rafting, canoraft, hydrospeed or buoy.
- The champion Tony Estanguet was training in the nearby “Gave de Pau” river !
- Rope sports : mountaineering, climbing, tree climbing, canyoning and speleology.
- Ski & Winter Sports : the ski stations of Hautacam, Cauterets and Gourette within an hour !
- Leisure sports : petanque, fishing (fly or toc) or paragliding (Aucun).
- Pools & Spas :
- Lestelle’s swimming pool (5 min away) : outdoor and free to tenants with a bracelet provided by the owners.
- Nay’s swimming pool (10 min away) : indoor, with play area and spa area.
- Many spas (less than 40 min away) : Argelès-Gazost, Eaux Bonnes, Eaux-Chaudes, Bagnères-de-Bigorre, Cauterets…
- Cycling enthusiasts :
- The Pyrenees are the preferred destination for bicycle tourism : you are on the roads of the Tour de France !
- The mythical passes await you: the Soulor pass, the Aubisque pass, the Tourmalet pass…
- A 200m bicycle road currently connects Pau to Lourdes (forward will link the Atlantic Ocean to the Mediterranean Sea).
Explore the circuses of Gavarnie, Troumouse or Estaube
Pyrenean limestone circuses were carved by huge glaciers : Gavarnie is the grandest, Troumouse is the most extensive , and Estaube is the wildest.
Challenge the mythical passes !!
(30 minutes away)
Cycling enthusiasts, you’re on the road of the Tour de France!
The mythical passes await you: the Soulor pass, the Aubisque pass, the Tourmalet pass…
Practice one of the many summer
(mountain & whitewater) sports
Like the champion Tony Estanguet, who trained in the nearby “Gave de Pau” river, try whitewater sports.
Practice one of the many winter sports
Ski stations of Hautacam, Cauterets and Gourette within an hour !
The Gîte Lihours is at the heart of the major tourist sites of the Pyrenees : so you will be very well located for sightseeing in both the Atlantic Pyrenees and the High Pyrenees, or even beyond (since some travelers also go to the coast Atlantic, Toulouse or Spain).
The Gîte Lihours is located in the plain of Nay, rich from his heritage and his culture.
The many tourist attractions of the region :
- Sanctuary of Betharram 5 minutes away
- Caves of Betharram 9 minutes away (most visited of France)
- Museum of Foie Gras 9 minutes away
- “Maison Carrée” of Nay (exhibitions & cultural events) 10 minutes away
- Museum of beret 11 minutes away
- Zoo of Asson 12 minutes away
- Lake of Baudreix 15 minutes away
- Rose garden of Saint-Vincent 20 minutes away
- Sanctuaries & Castle of Lourdes 20 minutes away
- Pyrenees Animal Park in Argelès-Gazost 30 minutes away
- Little Artouste train 1h away (the highest tourist train in Europe)
- Spanish border :
- at the Pourtalet pass 1h15 away, near the peak “Pic du Midi d’Ossau”
- at the Somport pass 1h40 away, visit the magnificent station of Canfranc just after the border
- “Pont d’Espagne” (Bridge of Spain) 1h15 away (waterfall road, Gaube lake, Vignemale & Marcadau valley)
- The peak “Pic du Midi de Bigorre” (2877m) with its panoramic terraces and its observatory 1h20 away
- Circuses of Gavarnie, Troumouse and Estaube 1h30 away
- Circus of Lescun 1h30 away
- “Chemin de la Mâture” (Mâture path) and fort of Pourtalet 1h30 away
- Kakuetta gorge 1h35 away
- Beaches of Anglet and Biarritz less than 2h away
All these wonders are close to the Gîte Lihours !!
If you’re not too tired from your busy days, you can also enjoy the festivals and events around (village festivals, farmers markets, concerts, outdoor shows…).
Visit the “Pont d’Espagne” (Bridge of Spain)
Also visit the waterfalls road, Gaube lake, Vignemale & Marcadau valley.
Visit the “Chemin de la Mâture” (Mâture path) and the fort of Pourtalet
In Aspe valley, this path dug into the rock overhanging vertiginous cliffs.
Visit the peak “Pic du Midi de Bigorre”
With its panoramic terraces and its observatory, explore this starship at 2877m above sea level.
An exceptional destination in high mountain !
Visit the peak “Pic du Midi d’Ossau”
In the Ossau valley, at an altitude of 2884m, explore this spectacular isolated peak in the heart of Béarn.
Visit the “Maison Carrée” of Nay
(10 minutes away)
Place of numerous exhibitions and cultural events.
Visit the Betharram Caves
(9 minutes away)
The Betharram Caves are the most visited in France and certainly the most curious to visit.
Unique caves, an underground attraction to see on foot, by boat and by train!
Discover the Betharram Sanctuary
(5 minutes away)
The Marian shrine of Betharram and its calvary (currently being restored) date from the 17th century.
Discover this unique masterpiece of baroque art in Béarn.
Visit the Sanctuaries of Lourdes and its castle
(20 minutes away)
A world famous pilgrimage center, the sanctuaries of Lourdes represent nothing less than the largest Catholic pilgrimage center in France.
Visit the castle of Pau and the Boulevard des Pyrénées
(30 minutes away)
The most beautiful view of the earth according to the poet Lamartine. Discover the old Pau and its neighborhood called Hédas.
All you may need
In the countryside, yet close to the village, you can rest, discover, visit, dedicate yourself to sports activities or relax. It’s worth the detour … and the stay!
Services in the sector :
- To make your market (local markets, local producers, etc.) :
- On site, you can order organic vegetables to Jérémy who works the land of the owners.
- The Nay market: 10 min away, Tuesdays & Saturdays morning, one of the busiest and most typical markets in Béarn. In particular you can buy a good cheese from the Pyrenees (sheep, cow and goat cheese).
- The Saint-Pé-de-Bigorre market : 10 min away, Tuesdays morning.
- Many farmers markets during the summer.
- To make your other purchases, you’ll be spoiled for choice :
- In the village of Lestelle at 1 km : press&food shop, bakery, pharmacy.
- And at 10km (Coarraze, Nay, Bénéjacq) several supermarket.
- For a moment of well-being, you can request reflexology care services (plantar, palmar …) of Amélie (the daughter of the owners).
Gastronomy & Restaurants
All dining options nearby
Terroir side, the regional products are numerous and tasty: foie gras, confit, delicatessens, local cheeses, Pyrenees honey, pastries, wines …
The typical regional dishes are also to be tasted: starting with the garbure!
Near Pau, you can visit the cellars and taste the famous white wine of Jurançon.
Below you will find the restaurants closest to the gîte.
« Ô Quatre Saisons » restaurant
1 Rue Gaston de Foix
05 33 11 15 11
« Le Vieux Logis » restaurant
Route des Grottes
05 59 71 94 87
« Mont Plaisir » brewery
Chemin des Grottes
05 62 42 67 90
Open everyday save Monday